Ariana Voyer on Twitter Ariana Voyer on Pinterest Ariana Voyer on Tumblr Email

Feb 20, 2012

Favorites: Eye Makeup

This is a continued Favorites post, so I suggest you check out my favorite face products too! I am going to list out each of my favorite eye makeup products by category. These are all of my personal favorites and a few that I have heard rave reviews about and will try once I'm out of the ones I'm currently using! I use my MAC and MUG shadows pretty much everyday, which you can read about in My MAC Palettes post.




Primer: 
Urban Decay Primer Potion
This cult-favorite I have gone through about five or six tubes of. I use it every day and wouldn't dare put on eyeshadow without applying a primer first. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry or want a really natural look, I just apply the primer potion, eyeliner, and mascara. Urban Decay recently changed the packaging so you truly get all of the product out of the tube. I bought some of the old ones on sale for half price too!
 I have also used Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I liked and is similar to the Urban Decay Primer Potion in the Eden shade. I have heard rave reviews about the NARS primer because it has a different consistency that is preferred by many beauty bloggers, but have not yet tried it myself.

Highlight under brow/inner corner: 
Benefit Eye Bright; Maybelline Champagne Fizz; MAC White Frost
I know I have previously discussed the Benefit Eye Bright in my Sephora VIB Status post a little while back, but I can still say I absolutely love it! It's a creamy light pink in a stick that perfectly highlights. Its a nice color on it's own that I think would be flattering on many, but is also a great primer to sweep a little champagne fizz or white frost over for that extra glow. Maybelline eyeshadow in the color champagne fizz is one of my best discoveries. I first heard about it from Elle Fowler, one of my favorite beauty gurus! It's the perfect light, shimmery, champagne color that is universally flattering and goes well with any look! I use it daily and hit pan after only having it for about a few months. When I want an extra pop that is less shimmery and more satin, I turn to MAC White Frost which you can see in My MAC Palettes post. It's a nice winter frost with the perfect sheen for a highlight color. I have also heard from a fellow beauty blogger you can find here that L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Iced Latte is quite nice too! Click that link to see her review. I can't wait to try it!

Cream shadow: 
NYX shadow pencil; MUFE Aqua Cream; Maybelline 24/7 Color Tattoo
If you want to opt for a cream shadow in a stick version that comes in a wide variety of colors, NYX is not only a great option but it's very inexpensive too. I have it in a few shades and love the creamy, dense pigmentation of them that can be used on their own or to set the rest of the look. If you prefer something in a pot, MUFE Aqua Cream and Maybelline 24/7 Color Tattoo are my go-to products. MUFE is more expensive, as it is a luxury brand not from a drugstore. It comes in absolutely stunning shades, as well as four pink/red/coral shades to use for lips and cheeks! I have the lilac purple shade and it's gorgeous. The Maybelline Color Tattoo comes in more basic, staple colors and seriously lasts forever to the point it's almost difficult to get off! Hence the tattoo concept in the name. To be perfectly honest, I normally do not use cream shadows. I simply prefer powder because I have dry, sensitive eyelids and it shows more when I use cream-based shadows. To apply, I recommend using a concealer brush or your finger for a less precise application.

Eyeliner:
Eyeliner for me is one of those products that I feel are pretty much the same for every brand, expensive or not. I usually get the basic Almay twist up black eye liner pencil because I have sensitive eyes and use black eyeliner daily. I also have liked the Cover Girl Liquiline Blast eye liner because of it's creamy, liquid-like intensity and easy application. I never specifically bought a more expensive eyeliner, until I got an Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On pencil in one of my eye shadow palettes. It is absolutely amazing and worth the splurge to those of you who make your eyeliner a staple part of your makeup routine. I have tried it in black, purple, green, and brown and have loved them all. The last, and most recent eyeliner product is the new L'Oreal Voluminous Smoldering eye liner which you may be familiar with when I tell you that the black tip of the pencil looks huge! It's dramatic and very black which I love. It also is so easy to do a wing at the outer corners as it can be applied as a very thin, precise line.
Although I am makeup obsessed, I must admit I have never used gel eyeliner. No reason why, I just haven't felt the need I suppose. I have heard that the Tarte, Stila, and Bobbi Brown gel liner are great though. I'm also not a huge fan of liquid, but that's just a personal opinion. However, I do like the MAC rapid black pen or Jordana brand version for a cheaper alternative of a liquid pen. It's much easier to apply, dramatic, and nice for a winged look.
Mascara:
L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara
After hearing rave reviews about the L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara from one of my favorite beauty gurus, Carli Bybel, I picked up this mascara at my local Walgreens. Now, it is without a doubt one of my favorite mascaras of all time and plan to repurchase it. Mascara is a product you should buy based on your needs. For me personally, I have naturally curled (sometimes too much) lashes and somewhat volumized. I want lengthening in my mascara, which the telescopic does for me. It separates my lashes well, doesn't really clump or flake, and lasts for a good part of the day.  When I go out at night or want a more dramatic look, I usually use the Telescopic paired with either the new L'Oreal False Fiber Lashes or the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! The Tarte mascara is all-natural and conditioning which I really like.

Have you tried any of these? Like another product better? Let me know, I always love to try new, amazing products :)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! So glad you mentioned some good mascaras because I literally have never had one. I can't wait to try our the L'Oreal Telescopic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think L'Oreal Telescopic is the best I've ever owned (and I've tried a LOT)! Hope it works the same for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been considering purchasing one of the MUFE aqua creams for awhile and you definitely convinced me! I use cream shadows when I'm in a hurry but not on an everyday basis as well. I really enjoy the Buxom Stay-There cream eye shadows and Benefit crease-less cream eye shadows :)

    ReplyDelete