Ariana Voyer on Twitter Ariana Voyer on Pinterest Ariana Voyer on Tumblr Email

Mar 25, 2013

How To Use Oil: Face, Hair, Nails, Skin

With the recent trend of multi-purpose oils, many people have asked me how I use them. I'm going to keep this short and sweet because I'm no expert! I just have a few quick tips to share :)
First off, what oils have I tried? Now I've tried Moroccan Oil and all that jazz that is meant solely for the hair, but I'm reviewing more of the multi-purpose/cosmetic oils from popular beauty brands.
  • Josie Maran Argan Oil - I got a deluxe sample size of this product in my Ipsy bag a couple months back. 
  • Tarte Maracuja Oil - I've had this one for quite a few months now since I got a full size in a QVC kit (which I highly recommend if you want to try out Tarte products without spending too much).
To me, these both are pretty much the same and serve the same purpose. Both have TONS of benefits for overall health, whether it be for your skin, hair, ...anywhere!

How I use oil on my....
  • Face: Let me start out by saying that you should only use this on your face at night as a heavier moisturizer. It is simply too oily for daytime and will probably not help your makeup stay on very long and will make you shiny. Now, I have used this on it's own, about 2-3 drops, applied with my fingers or with a cotton round, and felt that the oil simply didn't absorb as much and as quickly as I would have wanted. Maybe they're not meant to, but if you're like me and have a habit of touching your face on occasion (bad, I know) then you will not like this! No one wants to feel like an oil slick. I also wasn't thrilled with the idea of it being on my pillow when I'm sleeping. Anyways, I never really felt like I fully got rid of the feeling until I washed my face in the morning. What I've discovered that works MUCH better is to mix a drop or two into a regular, creamy moisturizer or night treatment. I like to use the Garnier Dark Spot Corrector lotion with 1 or 2 drops of this. The spot corrector, although it feels moisturizing to me, it's not meant to be. I mix them together with my fingers then apply. It feels so soft and smooth, not greasy/oily at all, but still more hydrated than just using the corrector on it's own. Yay, problem solved!
  • Hair: I'll be honest and say I usually don't use either of these for my hair, solely because I have other hair products with the Argan/Moroccan oil in them that I want to use up. But, if you prefer to use this, what I like to do is put about 5 drops in the palm of my hand, swish my hands together, and comb/rub through the very ENDS of my hair. Keyword: ends. Do not let this oil get near your roots and especially not above your ears. You can work your way up as you go since less product will be left on your hand, but definitely focus on the ends. This will prevent frizz and of course, split ends. It also adds a beautiful shine to the hair and is perfect for frequent use if you are trying to repair your hair or grow it out to a longer length. I also recommend using only on damp/wet hair, although you can use it on dry hair too. I use it about every 3 days or basically after every time I wash my hair (I don't wash it daily).
  • Hands/Feet/Nails: I'm not sure why, but I tend to have very dry skin around my nails, cuticles and even the nail itself especially after acrylics. Occasionally when I know I will be sitting in one place for at least 30 minutes, I'll dab a little bit onto my nails to let it soak in the nutrients. It definitely helps! I do afterward wash my hands to get rid of the oily feeling. Another thing you can do is use this in combination with a hand or foot cream, similar to the idea of mixing it with a face moisturizer. Some nights, I like to use this and a lotion on my feet and then sleep with fuzzy socks on to absorb and moisturize. Great for people who wear sandals a lot like I do (Florida problems).
  • Skin: Lastly, I have enjoyed using oils for irritated skin on my body. Whether I have a scratch/scab, my hydrating the skin surface, it seems to heal more quickly and less scarring. I also have used it on sunburns and when my sunburn is so bad that I'm peeling. It's intense hydration and feels really nice on burnt skin. I like to mix it with aloe especially!
That's about it! Let me know what you think of the oil trend and how you like to use them :)

xx, Ariana

No comments:

Post a Comment